Thursday, December 16, 2010

Apple Bottom

The lonely apples hanging around in my fridge from apple-picking back in October made perfect stamps for homemade wrapping paper. After a night of experimenting I was so happy with the results that I suddenly saw fruit in a whole new light. Passing through the greenmarket I felt compelled to pick up some new shapes-- a teeny tiny crab apple and a firm bosc pear. I learned my lesson with the pear: No matter how much I blotted the surface, the pear was just too juicy to get a sharp print.

But that's okay, I've already moved on from fruit and am now eyeing root vegetables...potatoes, turnips, carrots. I have a feeling that they'll work the best with their firm flesh and low moisture content. I just wish I had a little more time before Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. Wrapping paper is an all year event! Now I know what to do with my overripe apples and potatoes. Printing on fabric to make into towels, curtains and aprons would be a nice idea too.

    ReplyDelete